Saturday 20 July 2013

Australia's Few. 21 July 1940

At Middle Wallop, Stuart Walch of 238 Squadron followed up his success of the day before during an afternoon convoy patrol of Portland.
 
Off The Needles, Isle of Wight, he ‘dived down from 12,000 feet to 8000 feet following the last aircraft in the enemy formation, which was now flying away from the convoy south east, apparently returning to France. I closed to about 500 yards before I was sighted. The formation then went into a right hand turn, aircraft still in line astern. The aircraft I was following swung out on the turn and was on the outside of the circle. I opened fire at 250 yards closing to 50...The enemy I attacked tightened his turn and dived towards the sea, I broke off the attack and the starboard engine of the enemy aircraft was emitting black and white smoke. I lost sight of the enemy aircraft in the dive, as I pulled away in a left hand turn.’
 
He was credited with one destroyed Me 110 and a damaged.
 
He had come a long way since graduating from 1 Flying Training School three years earlier.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment