Thursday 11 July 2013

Australia's Few. 12 July 1940.

Jack Kennedy of Sydney, Australia was Flight Commander of 238 Squadron's A Flight. On 10 July, he intercepted two raids but did not encounter the enemy. He was rostered off on 11 July and missed out on the Squadron's first victory of the Battle of Britain. He was back in the air on 12 July, firstly leading Red section on an early morning patrol over Poole and, at 12.36 p.m., on a base patrol. No enemy aircraft were sighted on either occasion. Even when not in the air he was busy but he took a few moments to himself and wrote a quick note to his fiancĂ©e. 'It’s just about a month I think since I saw you; it seems much longer. I’m absolutely dying to see you, but I just can’t imagine how it can be done at the moment. The thought of leave is ridiculous...I am frantic with love.' It was his last letter.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment