Wednesday 19 December 2012

John Crossman: Australian Eagles

Typesetting 'Australian Eagles' is going well and I have just heard the photos are looking good. I had lots to choose but here is one of my favourites of John Crossman, all rugged up in his flying gear. It's evocative and brings everything back to the personal level.
 

 John was issued with his flying kit on 31 October 1939, the day after arriving at 9 Elementary Flying Training School, Ansty in Warwickshire. He sent this snap home to his family, telling them that, ‘when we get into flying uniform we look like men from another world and I must admit they are terribly cumbersome ... The suit is composed of first of all an inner garment of fur ... and then an outer waterproof overall which is very heavy. These are tucked into knee high flying boots lined with sheep’s wool. We wear three pairs of gloves also ... Ordinary trousers are a nuisance to wear under flying clothes so I wear khaki shorts and they are very comfortable except that the fur tickles my legs’.

http://www.barrallierbooks.com/site/australian_eagles

No comments:

Post a Comment