Wednesday 18 September 2013

Australia's Few. 19 September 1940

Ken Holland was back in action again on 19 September when there was another ‘flap after lunch’. Green section was ordered to 15,000 feet over Warmwell. They were vectored onto a Junkers Ju 88 over the channel at 10,000 feet. The attack was delivered at 16.20 p.m. Ken’s individual fighter combat report is extant and he can tell of this encounter:
‘RT of Green One was unserviceable so I became Green One. I was ordered to 15,000 feet over Warmwell and was then vectored to Ju 88. As there was cloud at 10,000 feet Green Two [Pilot Officer Williams] was below cloud and I went above cloud at 11,500 feet. When cloud broke I went down to given height and sighted Ju 88 ahead on the right two miles away. Green Two was left behind below cloud. I gave Tally Ho but Green Two could not find me. I made alternate quarter attacks from left and right from 300 to 200 yards aiming first at the gunners’ positions and then at each engine. EA took slight evasive action, heading for cloud on a southerly course. White and black puffs of smoke came from both engines and there was no return fire after my second attack.
I continued to attack and eventually the EA, now at about 8000 feet, dived vertically towards the sea, with both engines on fire. As my ammunition was finished I flew on a northerly course, and came to the Isle of Wight. My engine was missing slightly so I made for Portsmouth aerodrome, where I landed and after checking engine returned to base’.
Ken was ultimately credited with this victory but he was not initially certain and noted it as ‘V!?’.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment