Saturday 6 April 2013

John Crossman: 7 April 1940

On 7 April 1940, just days before the conclusion of his training at 9 EFTS Ansty, John Crossman had heard a rumour that he might be ejected from his training course. He endured a few days of heartache and worry as he faced an uncertain future.

He confided to his diary that:

Have decided that should I be kicked out I will go to China and join their air force if it is humanly possible. I could never stay on the ground now, flying is in my blood and I couldn’t go home and face my people after that. I do think some mistake must have been made and will be very pleased when we can get it all ironed out. One thing is certain I won’t leave the service without a fight. I like it too much to want to leave.  

It was false, and a few days later John was heading to Cranwell for his advanced training.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment