Saturday 1 September 2012

2 September 1940


John Crossman was back from leave and sitting in the dispersal hut. ‘Was twice called to readiness today on report of E A [enemy aircraft] but nothing came of it as they turned back each time. Seem to spend most of our time in dispersal hut all ready with flying clothes and the old Mae West but nothing ever happens here.’ The only good thing about hanging around waiting for nothing was that he was able to catch up with his correspondence. But there was an unfortunately element in having too much time on his hands: John had started to worry about his possible future. He wanted to get into action but he was aware of the likely outcome. He had come to believe that ‘a pilot’s life in the air force in wartime isn’t worth sixpence. I’ve seem too many good fellows who didn’t come back and we never know which day will be our last...Newcastle [NSW] seems a long way off these days and I assure you I still miss everyone a great deal. It’s very hard to have to go on knowing that I shall probably never see my people and friends again. It isn’t that I’m afraid, but I’ve seen what this war’s like and if it goes on long enough, well, I guess I’ll go the way of the rest.’



John knew that he would be in battle soon. He was impatient now—‘the chaps are all getting restless and want to get back to Biggin Hill again’—but the northern retreat was only for three weeks. Peter Moore, however, still seemed as far from battle as ever. On 31 August 1940 he had been posted to 5 Operational Training Unit Aston Down for Hurricane conversion but he would be there until 27 September 1940.

Des Sheen suffered no ill effects from his bale-out the day before but he had made an important decision. After being ‘nearly shot at by the army as I neared the ground I’ve scrapped my dark blue uniform’. He would not be mistaken for the enemy again and so traded his RAAF uniform, which he had worn from his days as a Point Cook cadet, for RAF issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment